Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A new journey begins, I think.


A new journey begins, I think, at my discovery two days ago while doing research on Colossians 1:24. Someone on the internet quoted John Piper's book, "Desiring God".

Piper's point was that God should be enjoyed; that the desire for pleasure is a God given desire and that it finds its satisfaction in Him. Piper referred to C.S.Lewis' statement that our passions are not too strong, but too weak - so weak they are satisfied with sinful acts and that when Christ is fully engaged nothing else will do; we lose our "taste" for sin.

I am seeing scripture in a whole new way; noticing the "comfort", "satisfaction", and "affection" words and indicators.

In Colossians 3:1-3, where I have been camped out for a while, I noticed it says to set my "affection" on things above.

The question to ask, of course, is "What are the things above that I am to set my affection on?” I think the primary answer is God, himself (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).

I can be affectionate towards God and that affection, by God's work in me, can be so intense and that pleasure so great that nothing else will satisfy.

That is what I want and I think it shall be interesting where this journey of discovery shall go.

No comments:

Post a Comment