Saturday, March 20, 2010

Difference between Love and Intimacy.

If we don't earn our way into heaven, then why do good works? If God doesn't play favorites, why do some appear closer to Him than others?

These are questions often heard.

The Bible clearly says salvation (all that means both now and eternally) is a gift by God's grace not based on the good works we do but the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross (Eph. 2:8-9). It also tells us God does not play favorites (Romans 2:11).

I think of it in terms of my own children. I love each one equally but the "closeness" I feel to each differs and sometimes fluctuates.

Love moves me to provide for their needs, sometimes above my own, to act in their best interest even when they don't appreciate it, to not hold grudges against them and to long for a greater closeness to each.

Some of my children have at times felt I loved others of them more and have said so, but I know that is not true. What is true is that the actions of some have, at times, developed an intimacy not always shared by others at all times. Love can be one direction but intimacy can not! The level of intimacy has always been their choice, not mine.

While there is nothing more they can do for my love (they each already have it) there are things they can do to increase our intimacy.

Desiring to spend time with me is a good first step. Showing my opinions are valued also helps. Doing what I consider "good" things simply because I consider them "good" things makes love a two way communication and joys my heart.

The purpose of us doing "good" works is because it brings God pleasure. Taking the time to read His word, the Bible, in a desire to know Him better, fosters a two way communication available to anyone but chosen by only some. Moving towards Him doesn't make Him love us more, it makes us love Him more. It doesn't change Him, He is already at 100% for us; it changes us.

A pastor friend often said in his sermons, "You can be as close to God as you want."

Something to think about.

Fritz.

No comments:

Post a Comment