Saturday, April 10, 2010

These people know how to praise each other! - Song 1:5 - 2:7

The Song of Solomon is filled with over-the-top complements. These people are really into praising each other; it's even a little embarrassing.
"I have compared thee, O my love, to a company of horses in Pharaoh's chariots", he says to her.
"A bundle of myrrh is my wellbeloved unto me", she says to him
Later in the Song they start praising each other's teeth, noses, and necks - What's that all about?!

The devotional use of this is not, I don't think, in the individual items praised throughout the Song but in the fact they are lavishing upon each other expressions of adoration. They are not trying to complement each other for the other's sake, they are enjoying each other through praise. The praise completes and enhances the enjoyment.

We do this to Christ in our worship songs and hymns. Look at the lyrics of "Victory in Jesus"
O Victory in Jesus,
My savior for ever
He Sought me and Bought me
With His redeeming blood,
He loved me 'ere I knew him,
and all my love is due him!
He plunged me to Victory
Beneath the cleansing flood!
Our love in enhanced as we sing praises to and about Him - not about His teeth, nose, or neck but His victory, love, redeeming blood, Him seeking and buying us.

And, as in the Song of Solomon where it is not just the woman praising him, but him also praising her, the Bible says God sings over us!
"The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." - Zephaniah 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment