Saturday, June 26, 2010

Teaching Jesus' Way

"as [Jesus] was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray" - Luke 11:1
This prelude to the now famous "Lord's Prayer" in the Gospel of Luke does more than set the context, it shows how to teach Jesus' way.

Eleven chapters into the Gospel a disciple finally asks Jesus how to pray. One would, naturally, think Jesus had started teaching prayer from day one. He did, but not the way we try to teach.

We "teach" by disseminating facts, steps, and information. Jesus did some of that with the crowds but with his closest ones he taught by doing and waiting to be asked1. They saw Jesus pray and eventually said, "How can I do that?!"

"Lord, help me to implement that kind of learning in my home and with my family, at my job with my co-workers, and daily with my friends. Amen."

-fritz

1 - Related post: "New Take on Pearls and Swine"

No comments:

Post a Comment