Monday, January 4, 2010

Affection - A State of Mind

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. - Colossians 3:2(KJV)

Yesterday I looked up the original word for "affection" in this verse and made an interesting discovery. The original language has it the same word translated in other passages as "mind", as in
"For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit." (Romans 8:5)

That word is also translated "thought" as in
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." - 1st Corinthians 13:11 (KJV)

St. Paul is not telling us where to put our feelings, he is telling us where to place our attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment