Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Truth is Not Freedom To All

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins...Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. - John 8:24,31-32 (KJV)

The oft quoted verse, "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free" was not said to all, as it is generally quoted by the world. It was said to a select few - the ones who believed on him. For others, truth will be anything but known, and anything but freeing.

Neither does knowing the truth come automatically. Jesus added an "IF / THEN" context which is, likewise, often omitted in quotations. He said "If ye continue in my word, then you are my disciples...and ye shall know...and it shall make you free".

- Fritz

No comments:

Post a Comment