Monday, January 18, 2010

The St. Mary type of praying

And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it. - John 2:2-5 (KJV)


On the way home from work, today, I was experiencing comfort from Jesus and the incident of Jesus turning water into wine came back to mind.

I was thinking, again, why Jesus' mother, during a wedding where Jesus was only a guest, would tell Jesus about the wedding's lack of wine. I am not convinced she knew what Jesus would do, or even what she wanted him to do.

It seems her first response for any perceived need was to just tell Jesus; not tell him what to do about it, but just tell him. This could have been because Jesus, as the firstborn son and with Joseph gone, was the man of the house. It could, also have been a gentle nudge for him to begin his ministry, she certainly knew who he was destined to be and do.

But an additional thought struck me, today. It is comforting just to tell Jesus about the things we see and the need. Jesus was, after all, her savior too. This may be where our female equals in Christ (1st Peter 3:7 Message Bible) have some natural insight. It is sometimes comforting not to press for a solution but just to express the heart and mind. It is comforting to realize something Mary discovered about her son, our savior, and that is it is enough to tell him a problem without trying to figure out what he should do about it.

I have some issues that I don't know what to do with, I don't know what I want Jesus to do about it because the results, any way it goes, are far more reaching than I realize and I want what is best for all concerned.

That's when I offer up a St. Mary type prayer: "Jesus, this has happened", and leave it at that knowing Jesus is the same today as he was then - perhaps a little reluctant, but full of compassion, love and wisdom.

- Fritz.

No comments:

Post a Comment