Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Set your sights higher


But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. - John 4:14-15 (KJV)


The famous "woman at the well" incident reveals a problem we have in common with her! We keep our focus based on the tasks we have to do, not the gifts he offers.

Jesus tells her of a different kind of water to satisfy a different kind of thirst. He says his "Living" water will satisfy her real thirst and is received for the asking! She can't stop thinking in terms of doing and asks so she doesn't have to come to that well any more. A totally different focus.

It is like the Norman Rockwell painting, "Lift Up Thine Eyes". The Church is proclaiming the Gospel and saying, "Look up!", but all the people are walking right by looking down.

We, like the people in that painting, are looking down at our next step instead of looking up to the one who makes all steps meaningful.

Jesus, in all my journey let me never be so focused on the path details and absorbed in other mundane thoughts that I loose sight of the Glory of You and the wonders of the trip!


-Fritz

No comments:

Post a Comment