Sunday, January 17, 2010

Just a nudge

And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it. - John 2:2-5 (KJV)


My attention was caught this morning in a seminarian's sermon. He moved on in his message, but I did not; he made other good points, but I was struck with the kind of mothering Mary did and the kind of sonship Jesus had with her.

How often do mothers (and fathers) not only let their children know what needs to be done, but tell them how to do it, and keep reminding them until its finished. How often as parents do we try to talk (argue?) our children into doing something; not Mary.

She had always known Jesus' calling and I think she noticed the change in Jesus after his baptism. Like most mothers, I think she had a sense it was time for Jesus to act. She gently nudged him, nothing more, not even asking Jesus to do anything. She only said four (4) little words, "They have no wine"; only a nudge. Even with his initial resistance she did not argue, nor retract.

And Jesus? He had such love and respect for his mother nothing more than a nudge was needed. Though reluctant, he acted. I think Mary knew this about him; that's why she told the servants to do what he would tell them.

How often I have told my wife, and others, "If you want me to do something then ask me!" But that was not Jesus' way, nor should it be mine. I should not have to be formally asked, the act of making the need known IS the asking.

Today, in that small part of the message, I heard God tell me I need to be more like Mary and more like Jesus at the same time - like Mary in only giving nudges to my love ones, letting them respond in their own way, and like Jesus I should respond to the needs of my wife, family, and friends without having to be formerly asked.

Jesus, help me be better at both of these.

- Fritz.

No comments:

Post a Comment