Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gospel Lesson from a GPS (yes, the device in my car)

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living, so that the person who serves God may be fully qualified and equipped to do every kind of good deed." - 2nd Timothy 3:16-17 (GNB)
Pete (my son) and I were headed for the golf course when he asked why the GPS speed did not match my speedometer.

We had a physics lesson and a Gospel lesson at the same time.

My speedometer measures velocity by calculating wheel rotation. If the tires are not as expected the calculation could be off by several miles per hour.

The GPS, however, uses satellites, calculating speed by tracking my global position, and it is spot-on as long as it can find the satellites.

I use my GPS not only to know where I am but to judge the accuracy of my speedometer.

The Gospel lesson?

God made us with a conscience we use to judge our actions, but it can be off because of personal desires, misunderstandings, and just bad judgment. That's why God has, also, given us the Bible as external source of truth that is always spot-on.

We use the Bible to not only know where we are headed but to judge the accuracy of conscience.

- Fritz

No comments:

Post a Comment